Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rockit: Great Garnishes, A Mini Mason


On Sunday, July, 27, we visited Rockit Bar & Grill, at Hubbard & Dearborn. We were pleasantly surprised at how quickly we were seated and able to order our drinks. When the waitress came back out, we were a little confused - she held a tray of clearly full glasses. We very cautiously asked her about the "build your own" status and she clarified that you could build your own garnish. Ah, okay. 

The first thing we took notice of were the mason jars the Snow Queen Bloody Mary was served in. Definitely a cute, if unoriginal, theme. I gave it alittle stir, noting the lime that came hinged on the side. Sippy. Yum! The consistency was pretty good, but the thickness of the drink was lost in all the ice. Large chunks + smallish glass = fat man in a little coat. 

We made it over to the garnish bar (which we actually had trouble finding, even though it was in the middle of the room - it was pretty well hidden, and I think we had a grander vision before we arrived. However, our hesitance was definitely not
warranted- the vast list of creative & gourmet ingredients almost even made up for the lack of freedom to create your own base. So much to choose from! The first thing that caught my eye was a little skewer comprised of rolled up salami & sliced cheese. Yum! Sometimes pre-rolled aint so bad. 1 please. 

I quickly realized I had a problem. Maybe it's my 
fault for not being strategic before diving in, or maybe it really is a deficiency on Rockit's part. But the diameter of the mason jar was too small for the ingredients! And, there were no skewers on which to skew your garnishes. (I would have loved to see some thin, reusable, wooden spears.) This meant that you had to put  your roasted garlic, or sun-dried tomato-stuffed olive, or what have you, straight into the drink and watch it sink to the bottom, knowing you'll meet again in about twenty minutes. Bummer. At least I could still add horseradish & hot sauce to my drink (they did have these essential ingredients - a plus to be sure.) As you can see from the picture below, I got creative with my shrimp skewing. And by creative I mean, used the salami one. 

Enough about me - what did the Bracketeers think??

the taste: 4.2
the texture: 3.4
the kick: 4.4
the sight: 4.4
the buck: 4.4
beer back: n

At $5 a pop, they're definitely worth it. An eerily-Brett Dennen sounding acoustic set added to the ambiance. Mrs. Ruby loved the mason jar, and one dear old friend noted of the various types of stuffed olives, "you know I like anything stuffed - or that you can dip." (Needless to say, we also ordered the Rockit Pockits.) See after the jump for some garnishes combos we came up with. 

Rockit's Garnish Bar

Loid
- Blue cheese stuffed olive
- Pesto Tomato
- Horseradish
- Caper Berry
- Onion
- Roasted Garlic
- Celery Salt 

Yours Truly
- Blackened Shrimp
- Sun-dried Tomato Stuffed Olive  
- Salami & Cheese Roll
- Caper Berry
- Grilled Artichoke
- Pickle Spear
- Celery Salt
- Horseradish
- Hot Sauce

Well, guess I had more room than I thought. But I did go back up for seconds. 

well hello, old frens. 


No comments: