Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Homemade Brooklyn Bloody - Five Stars!


Last week, I visited my good friend Lila at her home in Brooklyn, NY. This was a very special visit for me, because she's been my bestest since babyhood and I had yet to see any post-high school home of hers. She lives in a great documentary arts collective called
uniondocs, housed in a seemingly nondescript building in Williamsburg. In fact, the six residents live in three (I think) flats with furniture they made themselves (beautiful heavy log benches included) and a fantastic backyard, deck, and pulley-clothesline! (way to go, Lily!)

Of course Lila knows how to make a great bloody mary, she is the witty author behind our ranking descriptions. Of course her ingredients are home-made and fresh, she went au naturale years ago. I couldn't wait to try them!  

Ingredients (pictured): 
- Vodka
- Very Veggie Organic tomato juice
- Hot Chili Sauce (Sriracha)
- Dill
- Goya Season All
- Lemon Pepper Spice
- Salt
- Lemon Wedge Garnish 
- Best Homemade Horseradish EVER! 
- Soy Sauce!

It didn't even matter that the girls were out of olives or pickles; the lemon was enough in this tasty delight! Thanks to the chili sauce and horseradish, they were perfectly spicy and the consistency was creamy.
Occasionally, I thought I swallowed a hair or bug with the dill in there, but really the taste outweighed any phantom oral invasions. The soy was another welcome and unique flavor to the drink.

Of course, Lila is no rookie. She needs her snacks just as much as I do - and she certainly prepared. This lady made a loaf of bread from scratch, (yes, I walked into the apartment to bread in the oven. what.) with olive oil dip to boot. Of course, she also made her famous popcorn. Despite the fact that the recipe is on my fridge, I can never remember what goes into this spice mixture that she tops the popcorn with except that it contains nutritional yeast and is the tastiest thing of all time. Mmm, and these peanuts! Mama gets them for her in a big burlap bag, and they rival even the best of baseball game nuts. 


Homemade brooklyn bloody marys + warm homemade bread + peanuts + best popcorn ever + being outside + sitting on /at Lily's homemade benches/tables under her handmade pulley clothesline + being with my oldest friend of all time = a match made in heaven. 

No comments: