Friday, May 30, 2008

Rules & Regs

Hello!

Tonight is a particuarly exciting time for me. My last final was just handed in, my big project for work has wrapped, and my college roommate comes in tomorrow for my birthday weekend! This means summer has officially begun - finally. Adding to the (extreme) excitement is the fact that our first tasting is just 35 hours away! !!

My good friend lila, the creative mind behind food blog & brooklyn supperclub site liladobbs.wordpress.org, provides a categorical breakdown of the scoring that we will be using to grade our brunchtime delights:

the taste: are we talking fresh tomato juice? clamato? v-8? sweet? salty? savory? brine-y?

the texture: along the lines of taste...watered down? too thick? too much ice? too little ice? i like my bloodys to be solid but not too heavy that i cant order a second (or third for that matter) round.

the kick: self-explanatory. personally, im very opinionated in the tabasco vs chile sauce debate. i dont like tabasco AT ALL. i chalk it up there with olives, another dreaded food of mine. which makes my bloody mary scoring extra annoying.

the sight: i like when folks have fun with the garnishes, but it shouldn't get in the way of enjoying my drink. the garnishes should be simple, inventive and complimentary to the taste. a glass that shows up with a leaning tower of briney vegetables, so tall that you have dissasemble your drink jenga-style, nuh-uh.

the buck: at my favorite bklyn bloody joint its always two for one. 'nuff said.

At each venue, scorecards will be provided which will have a 1-5 point scale for each of the above categories. The average score from each category will be the official score for that bloody mary - but don't worry, if you have any particularly strong sentiments, they will not be overlooked! A space for your personal opinions will also be provided. As will golf pencils. If you're lucky.


You might not believe it, but suggestions for bloody mary sites are STILL coming in. I've closed the polls as of tonight, so the final list will be posted tomorrow. (today? friday. somehow, time has lost all meaning over the past two months.)

Again, thank you all for being such fantastic bracketeers! And special thanks to lila, always my creative cliff notes in a time of sleep-deprived poop for brains.

Love & libations,

Danielle

No comments: