Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Bracket Goes Charitable with Streetwise!

Many of you, if not all, see Streetwise vendors on a regular basis. Since 1992, Streetwise has provided employment to more than 3,600 homeless men and women, enabling them to secure housing and buy food, clothing and personal necessities. Most importantly, StreetWise has served as the opportunity for their journey back to self-sufficiency. Based on my own experiences with Andre, the very sweet & hardworking vendor at Division & Dearborn (never to get deterred from those who turn him down, you may know him as the dude who coined the term, "Maybe on the way out!") I have learned that these courageous individuals buy their papers at $0.35 cents each and in turn, based on their own market calculations in their area, sell them for donations - and many of them have dedicated clients who return week after week.

HOWEVER, the money they make is often not enough for basic day to day needs. As I was cleaning out my utility closet the other day, I realized that I have a ton of CRAP sitting around, that I don't use - and that clearly could be used by those less fortunate than I. For example, how many times have I bought garbage bags when I already have some, leaving me an excess? Am I really going to use that fan? My set of dishes from college that have been sitting in a box ever since I graduated? Clothing I swear I'll wear one day - but haven't in years? Then I thought - how much crap do we have COLLECTIVELY? Imagine!

Streetwise collects donations of ALL KINDS throughout the year.
From now on, I will be collecting goods at each Bloody Mary Bracket meeting. I will bring everything to Streetwise (1201 W. Lake Street). Anything you have, please bring. If you have any questions regarding acceptability, please ask beforehand. 

Thank you all in advance for your generosity!!

No comments: